group of Irish Free State Army soldiers firing artillery on the Four Courts - UCD Digital Library

A group of Irish Free State Army soldiers firing artillery on the Four Courts

Abstract: The photograph is probably by W.D. Hogan. One soldier is in the process of firing, the others stand at some distance mainly with their ears covered. (Similar photograph published in Michael Hopkinson's Green against Green (1988) with the following caption: ‘The opening shots of the Civil War, fired from Free State 18 pound field artillery supplied by the British Government. The gun was stationed at the junction of Bridge Street and Usher's Quay, just across the Liffey from the Four Courts'.

In collection Desmond FitzGerald Photographs

Origin information
Dublin, Ireland
Date created:
Type of resource
still image
Physical description
1 still image : digital ; 45777.612 KB — Reformating quality: preservation (image/gif) (image/jp2) (image/jpeg) — Digital origin: reformatted digital
MD5 checksum: 632354de6c22dca3fdb5428cf3c36149
Genre
Photographs
Subject
Ireland--History--Civil War, 1922-1923   linked data (lcsh)
Soldiers--Irish--Ireland--Dublin
Artillery (Troops)--Irish--Ireland--Dublin
Four Courts (Dublin, Ireland)
Irish Free State. Army
Location
UCD School of History and Archives. UCD Archives. Desmond FitzGerald Photographs. P80/PH/23 http://dx.doi.org/10.7925/drs1.ucdlib_30708

Record source
Metadata creation date: 2013-02-26

Rights & Usage Conditions

Creative Commons License
A group of Irish Free State Army soldiers firing artillery on the Four Courts is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Creative Commons License
A group of Irish Free State Army soldiers firing artillery on the Four Courts is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Copyright of the original resource: © University College Dublin, National University of Ireland, Dublin. Copyright and reproduction rights for all items in this collection are held by University College Dublin and administered by UCD Archives, UCD School of History and Archives, Belfield, Dublin 4, Ireland.